Are You That Angry Person?

Don't put the wholeness of your identity into the smallness of a situation.

Have you ever found yourself caught up in a situation and you kind of loose yourself so to speak. It could be a stressful time that you are going through and somehow your identity morphs into the situation and you become someone you don't recognize?


I heard this statement on the radio a while back and I was reflecting on how easy you can take on a circumstance and become associated with it so much so that you acquire an identity. There are people we know that we associate with anger, bitterness, entitlement, self pity etc and they are usually people we don't want to be around. They are 'Debby downers' because they have somehow over time become wrapped up in a situation or circumstance.


I don't judge them too harshly, I make a point to avoid them. This is because a change in identity doesn't happen overnight. It's an accumulation of feelings about a situation where you become comfortable being identified with that situation. It becomes difficult to let go because over time you have resorted to being associated with that situation.

Let me explain; if you feel angered by something and you feel owed then what happens is that you embrace those feelings because they make you feel good about yourself. Those feelings make you feel better than someone or something. So you start to identify yourself with that anger and over time you become an angry person however you don't realize that you are 'that angry person'. It has become part of your identity.

So where does that leave us? I think it leaves us with a challenge to make a conscious effort to remove ourselves from a situation. You have to either mentally or physically take yourself put of the situation. If we allow ourselves to be led by situations and emotions we become reactionary ALL the time. We become irrational.

What does this look like for you? For me it has been a difficult lesson especially at work. This is where I spend most of my time so many of my experiences will be influenced by work. After a difficult year I have found myself angry and resentful. I didn't want to do the work I was getting paid to do because I felt 'owed'. God had other plans though. He reminded me that he put me there not my boss. So I had to do a mental adjustment to stop being the angry person at work. It's so exhausting by the way being angry that is.

I resolved to do my work and more because my reward always comes from the Lord. Remember that God is always preparing you for the next stage in life. So adjust your attitude and don't let your identity be associated with your situations in life.

Listening is loving...

2 comments:

  1. An instructive post. People to really know who they want to reach and why or else, they'll have no way to know what they're trying to achieve. People need to hear this and have it drilled in their brains..
    Thanks for sharing this great article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Haber!!! Appreciate it.

      Delete