Rest

I was seating on the train today commuting to work, usually this is my 'catch up' time. Catch up on my reading, emails, messages, sleep, meditation etc It is my 'me' time. Today I felt drained, bone tired, weary kind of drained. I didn't want to go to work but it is an obligation and the bills don't pay themselves sigh!

I digress but it occurred to me that I needed to rest. I needed to be still preferably in my home, in my bed or on my couch. No calls, no messages, no visits, no social media just me and a book and maybe some TV. Does this happen to you friends? Do you ever feel incredibly tired and in need of a break?

Castle Cove beach by loop-oh

It's been a tough year at work, working crazy hours so I know where the source of some of my weariness is. I often say God has a funny sense of humor and I am not kidding. As I was lamenting and marinating in my unease I read these two verses,
Ecclesiastes 2: 18 I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. 19 And who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. This too is meaningless. 


I literally laughed. When you work crazy at a thankless job you start feeling entitled and bitter. This too has been a source of discontentment for me which has fed into my weariness. After all this hard work there won't be any red carpet or anything like that. Someone will obviously come after me and they will not appreciate the work that went to laying the foundation they will be standing on. A foundation I worked so hard to build, but such is life. Recognize that no matter how much you do you are a temporary feature in the grand scheme.

So when I read the next verse in Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might I knew that truly God was speaking to me. We have to do our best wherever we find ourselves whether we like it or not. However we also have to rest. We have to recognize that we need to stay healthy both mentally and physically to be able to give our best. 

In Mark we see Jesus telling the disciples they needed to rest. He in-fact instructs them to seek solitude so that they could rest. 
In Mark 6: 30 The apostles gathered around Jesus and reported to him all they had done and taught. 31 Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them,“Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.”
32 So they went away by themselves in a boat to a solitary place.
Often we get caught up in being busy with work, life, family, vacations, church, we get caught up in being on the move constantly. Before you know it you start resenting people and things you normally love.You become overwhelmed without even realizing it. In the verse above Jesus observed how much work the disciples were doing and he saw that they were getting to a place where it would be too much. He asked them to rest.

When there is no joy in doing the things you love or being around the people you love you need rest. Yoga has been a great addition in my life but over the past few weeks I started noticing that I wasn't looking forward to it as I normally do. I am not tired of yoga but I recognize the need to hit the brakes.

If you are finding yourself in such a place then my friend we are in much need of some rest. For us to rediscover that joy that is missing we need to find a way to rest. I do not know how that looks for you but whatever gives you rest seek it.

Listening is loving...

No comments:

Post a Comment