God's Promises III

Today I wanted to remind us of a simple promise that carries so much weight. It reminds me of a safe place/space where we can go and just be. No judgement just acceptance. 
Matthew 11:28 says “Come to me, 
all you who are weary and burdened, 
and I will give you rest. 

I usually like to pause and just think about what I am reading especially when it comes to scripture. Over time if you have been reading the bible for a long time the words of popular verses like this will roll right off you before you can wrap them around your heart and appreciate them. So please read this verse and mellow a little in this promise.


Horizon on Fire by Peter Zoon


How many people do you know or what things do you possess that give you rest? Inevitably being human means that at one point or the other these people or things will stop giving you contentment. You will require more, you will be disappointed, your needs will change, whatever happens they will not provide the calm and peace you want. They become burdens even when we don't want to see them as such. It's not by accident that Colossians 3:2 reminds us to set our eyes on things above, and not on earthly things.

I digress but I have found that through life when I depend on people or things for my source of peace or rest there always comes a season when they let me down. So when I read this promise I get some revival in terms of my hope and spirit. It means that I have not reached the end point. I have a place I can go that will guarantee rest and that's Jesus. I feel sad for people who don't have faith because there is nothing else to turn to that will not at one point let them down.

God's call here is to come. To go to Him where we can find rest. Sometimes I find myself super restless and my mind cannot stop wandering. I have things to do and lists to check off. I am for lack of a better word weary, my spirit and my soul are thirsty for something more. There is usually nothing that I can quickly point out as the problem. All I know for sure is that I don't feel 100 percent.

That's usually a sign that my spiritual life is out of wack and I need to go to my father. It's like a car needing an oil change and some maintenance. My soul and my spirit need the same maintenance. I need to take my burdens and my weariness that I don't even understand to a God who will. Usually after a long conversation (prayer) that involves some tears and some soul searching I feel like I'm back in alignment.

Have you ever felt like you just needed a break and some rest. Our father is calling us to go to him so that we can be unburdened. In the next two verses of Matthew 11 Jesus says 
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Please accept this invitation today and lean upon this promise. I have never seen a person made worse by depending on the word of God with some integrity of course. If you find that your faith makes your life harder perhaps you need a realignment. True faith promises an ease through life that would be difficult without God. I don't by any means mean that there won't be tough times but I do know that the burden is a lighter with God.


Listening is loving...








No comments:

Post a Comment