God's Promises II

So yesterday we touched on one of God's promises and I wanted to continue with this theme today. As the sun starts to shine longer and the days are getting warmer my heart can't help but feel light. Even my step feels lighter which is kind of a sedge-way into today's post.

In Hosea 6 we see a promise in the midst of so much turmoil in Israel. The people of Israel had drawn far from God and yet even in all this we see God's compassion for us as he makes today's promise in verse 3. It says;
Let us acknowledge the Lord; let us press on to acknowledge him. As surely as the sun rises, he will appear; he will come to us like the winter rains, like the spring rains that water the earth.

Sunrise by Rod Waddington

There is an invitation here to acknowledge God in the literal sense, to turn to him. It's an invitation to draw near to God and to find out who He is. To have our eyes be opened in revelation of who he is. I often find that when things are either good or bad (it's always extremes with me : ) ) I draw far from God. It's like I forget where my sustenance comes from when I am overwhelmed by life.


When I don't acknowledge God I miss out on this great promise. That when we turn to Him, He will come. This promise has been a source of comfort for me over the years. Especially in the seasons when I was waiting on God to answer one prayer or the other. Or when I was just trusting in the Lord for something.

There is a song by Hillsong that I have linked here that reminds us of this promise. That as surely as the sun will rise every morning, God will come. That as surely as the dawn appears, God will come. That he will come like the rain in the winter and the spring to water the earth. Can you imagine that outpouring of the presence of the Lord. If you imagine yourself being the recipient of such an outpouring of God's glory then you can picture your heart being flooded by God's presence.

So friends in whatever season of life you find yourself you can trust in this promise that God will come. It's quite a solid promise because I am sure that for as long as I have been alive the sun has shone every morning. God has been there every morning even when we don't see it. He shows up, he will never stand you up. It's always darkest before dawn and it's in these moments that we see the hand of God in our lives.

He will water whatever is dead, broken, withering and not flourishing in your life and bring it forth into fruition. God not only shows up but he also comes to restore, redeem and rebuild. This analogy of rain is not for nothing. The word of God really gives me life. Friends allow the Lord to water the garden that is your life with his glory. Speak life into your marriages, relationships, children, careers, faith whatever it is, let him turn your chaos into order. Turn to him and say 'I am waiting on you Lord because I know you will come. I know that your glory will fall as you respond to me.' 

Remember Proverbs 18:10 that also has a promise that rhymes with today's promise that "The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.”

Listening is loving...

No comments:

Post a Comment