When People See You, What Do They See?

I was reading my bible today and as I scrolled through the verses specifically in the book of Galatians I came across these words 'self evident'. The gist of it is that when we truly follow Christ something changes within us that causes us to be different. Not the holier than though different but a genuine good kind of difference that people see in you. We are all not perfect and we are not asked to be perfect.



I am digressing so let me come back to the words  'self evident'. The fruits of the spirit are things borne out of our faith in God and the holy spirit being in us. They are certainly not things you can do without some help. Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control are the fruits of the spirit according to scripture. It is quite a tall order. Imagine loving people who are not very nice or being in a constant state of peace and joy. Is that even possible? : ).

How about patience, kindness and exercising self control and not the diet kind but self control that stops you from sinning in a world where temptations are everywhere. Think about faithfulness not just to your spouse but also to your friends. Staying loyal and true to the people you love. It is hard and that's putting it mildly. Remember though that this is not a to do list. The fruits of the spirit are 'self evident' of something greater than ourselves working for good within us. We cannot cross off this to do list on our own. I know I can't.

So I paused and I thought about what is self evident about me. Within this passage were also the things that are evident of the flesh i.e not of the holy spirit namely sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality,  idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I have read this passage many times but this time I truly reflected on the words 'self evident'. I am falling short yikes!!!

Friends as much as this is not a to do list but a way of being I was finding myself checking more boxes in the latter list and I was convicted. I get so angry sometimes and when I pause to see the source of my anger it's usually something mundane like the train running late. The world will not end because I missed the express train!!! But because I am human and my flesh is weak I get so angry friends. On the other hand if the holy spirit was truly at work and I decreased that He may increase this would be a minor bump on the road. I would have the patience and self control to just let it go.

This makes me wonder what is working within me. It cannot be from something good because good seeds don't bear bad fruits. I cannot be good all by myself. I need the holy spirit. I want the first list to be self evident in my life. I want people to see me and see the good fruits.

As you go about your business today ask yourself what is 'self evident' about you. When people see you what do they see? When you speak are they words that bring forth life or death? Not literal death but are they words that build others? Do you cause peace or do you stir up conflict? I see people all the time that seem so angry or the smallest things set them off and I wonder what's going on there? May we find the holy spirit and lean into Him more. The word of God does not return back void, it will change you if you read it and meditate on it. Be blessed folks.

There is a prayer I have included in the picture above. Pray.

Listening is loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment