London in 48 Hours Part 1


So we had a little under 48 hours in London and we managed to see a lot. We typically don't use tours but for our short stint I had a few tours lined up. So here we go.



We flew to London Gatwick via WOW air from Boston for $365!!! Please note that this was not the lowest price. Prices went down even more : (. Being a budget airline we did not expect much and that is what we got. But who cares for that price you can fly to California so no complaints.

Oh Joy!!!


















From Gatwick we took the Gatwick Express (buy the tickets ahead of time and save a couple of Euros) to London Victoria Station. I was so excited as you can tell. Backpack in tow and ready to explore.After some serious confusion with which tickets to buy we finally got an Oyster card and navigated the Underground like pros. I live in Boston and use the subway so it wasn't that hard to figure out. I had printed directions to our hotel before hand so we just needed to figure out where our trains were.
We stayed at Holiday Inn Reagents Park. I chose the hotel for the price and location. It's near Oxford St. for the shopping lovers, the underground etc Also it was clean which is what mattered. After dropping our things we set off to explore London.


 I just had to!! Famous London booths.






































We rushed to St. Paul's Cathedral for our afternoon tour. I asked a local guide about visiting St. Paul's versus West Minster Abbey and he said he would pick St. Paul's because you could go to the top for some amazing views of London. Please buy your tickets here in advance. We went in low season and there were lines even then.


Seating at the steps of St. Paul's Cathedral enjoying a nice day in London in the spring. No rain imagine that!!!
Please note we hadn't slept since jetting from Boston the previous night but I wanted to squeeze in as much as I could before our next destination.
























The dome. I managed to get this shot before I was politely asked to switch off my camera. If you look closely you'll see various people and stories in the bible. And then we set off for what felt like a million stairs to the top. Views galore!!
Inside St. Paul's Cathedral in the dome.




After some amazing views we took the winding stairs back down for more exploration. Those stairs are not for the faint hearted.
And behold Big Ben. I was sooo excited to be here. We saw her on our way to the London Eye.




















I had bought tickets for the London Eye. Its a touristy thing to do but given the time we had I think it was a great idea. So from St. Paul's oyster card in hand we took the train to Water Loo so we could get on the Ferris wheel : ). Again buy tickets here in advance the lines for the Ferris wheel were ridiculous. Even with advance tickets we still had to line up.

Walking towards the London Eye.





























 More amazing views from the London Eye.

 

Yours Truly.
We ended our day with some Turkish fanfare at the park. We found this Turkish restaurant near our hotel and got take out for an evening such as this.



I had to have a guineas in London. Isn't that like mandatory?? : ).
Winding the day down. London I love you!
Stay tuned for part 2.

Listening is loving......



No comments:

Post a Comment